Frequently Asked Questions
What is Reformer Pilates?
- Pilates is a form of resistance training that focus on core stability and helps build long lean muscles.
- It involves stretching, movement control and resistance with the assistance of a reformer bed and apparatus such as light weights, a pilates ring, jumping boards, etc.
How is Kia Kaha Studios different?
- We focus on a dynamic fast-paced workout with continuous and controlled movements that will make you leave feeling like you used your entire body.
- With us it is about your lifestyle, preventing injuries and committing to a long term relationship with yourself.
- We will help you understand your body, improve your balance, flexibility and co-ordination.
- You will leave our classes feeling mentally and physically challenged with a sense of improvement every time. The results come fast and you will notice them.
- You will have fun!
What do I need to bring to my first class?
Yourself and your active wear. We supply hand and shower towels and water stations. You are welcome to bring your own water bottle and fill up in our water stations too. Please note we do not wear shoes on the reformer beds, we do it bare feet or with a grip sock.
What level should I start at?
The Beginner Reformer classes are suitable for anyone who can do basic movements such as squats, lunges, planks etc. If you have an existing injury where you aren’t able to do this then we suggest a few personal training classes to show you how to modify things so that they are more suitable for you. If you have done a Reformer Pilates class before but are new to Kia Kaha, we ask that you start at Beginners Level as we do run things a little bit differently. It is important that all individuals are in similar stages when moving through levels with us. This will ensure classes are run more effectively and you are more comfortable with our method and lingo.
Do I need to book?
YES, bookings are essential to ensure that there is a space for you, also if there is no one booked in we may cancel the class up to 2 hours before.
First timers – Yoga
Is Kia Kaha`s Yoga Bikram?
No, very different! Bikram is a system of Yoga created by Bikram Choudhury based on traditional Hatha Yoga. Classes will go for 90 mins in a room of 40 degree + and will consist of 26 postures. Yoga at Kia Kaha is practiced between 23 – 30 degrees with influences of Vinyasa, Yin, Yin Yang, meditation; and we do like to leave our instructors with freedom to use their creativity.
I have never done Warm Yoga before, what class should I start at?
- You can attend any of our classes as a first timer, however we recommend either taking our Yoga Foundations Course or starting by attending our Mindful class. Just have a quick read of the descriptions and see what you feel like achieving and how you feel on that day.
- No phones are allowed in class, leave it in your locker and be right here with us.
- If you feel overwhelmed by the heat at any point, just sit or lie on the mat and focus on your breathing. We do not recommend leaving the room unless it is an emergency.
What do I need to bring?
We offer complimentary mats, blocks, sweat and shower towels and a water fountain. You are welcome to bring your own mat and equipment if you prefer. Please bring in water bottle to fill up and wear comfortable breathable clothing that is not restrictive.
Can I eat before class?
Avoid eating too much or too little prior to practice: light snacks are where it`s at. While you need to properly fuel your body before practice, heavy foods like dairy are not recommended. Foods with high water content such as watermelon or sodium content like bananas, are great pre-yoga foods.
First timers – HIIT
Are Kia Kaha`s Cardio classes suitable for everyone?
Yes, our cardio classes are suitable for people at all levels with appropriate modifications available to help you ease into the class.
Should I bring runners?
Our cardio classes are high intensity, but low impact. We do advise that you wear your gym shoes to ensure it is comfortable.
Kia Kaha Classes
How many classes should I be doing?
- It depends on your fitness goals and where, in your general exercise journey, you are starting with us. It is a personal thing and the progress will also depend on how you adapt to our exercises and how your body recovers. We generally recommend around 2-3 classes per week with a continuous increase as your fitness level rises.
- If you are more ambitious and want faster and better results, we recommend increasing your attendance to 3-5 classes per week. The more you do, the more you will achieve. Keeping in mind that rest is equally important.
- To find out the best fit for you, we recommend speaking to one of our instructors as they will be able to assess your personal situation and help you achieve your goals.
Where are we located?
- We are based on Level 1 – 18 Byron Ave, Takapuna. Only a few minutes walk to the beach and Takapuna`s busy centre and 10 minutes away from the city.
- Find Kia Kaha Studio`s on Google Maps here
- There are car parks just outside our studio – plenty of spaces for everyone.
When should I arrive?
It is important that all new comers come at least 10 minutes before class commencement. This will give us a chance to check you in, get to know you and for you to fill out a client registration form and familiarize yourself with our facilities.
How many people per class?
- Reformer Pilates: we have a maximum of 12 clients per class. As we run small group classes, our Trainers are able to focus on each individual to achieve maximum benefit.
- Yoga and Mat Pilates: we have a maximum of 12 clients per class, which allows ample space between mats to ensure a comfortable practice
- HIIT, DanceFIT: we have a maximum of 12 clients per session to ensure individual attention is given and there is enough space for a good cardio session.
Can I still do classes if I have an injury?
- This will depend on your injury and doctor`s recommendations. It is advisable and sometimes required to get a GP/Physio medical certificate if you injury is serious.
- In case of injuries we do recommend starting with private classes so our trainers can assess if group classes are appropriate for you. This is to ensure you are not putting yourself in danger or further risk.
Book your class with Kia Kaha Studios via our website or the MindBody mobile app. To ensure you do not miss out, book in advance and guarantee your spot.
If your preferred class is fully booked, make sure you get on our waitlist as 9 out of 10 times, there will be a cancellation and the line will move. To waitlist, just click on the class as you are going to book it. You will receive an e-mail if a space is free.
- We have an 8 hour cancellation policy – this is to ensure there is enough time for other clients to book. If you are late to cancel and cancel your class with less than 8 hours or do not show up to a class, you will still be charged for that class.
- All 1:1 and 2:1 classes have a 24 hour cancellation policy.
Pre and Post Natal Clients
Is it ok to do Pilates while pregnant?
- Absolutely! Pre-natal clients can attend group pilates classes up until they are 15 weeks along. Please advise your trainer so any necessary modifications can be made to your movements. Ask us about our pre and post natal qualified trainers.
- After 15 weeks we can look at a 1:1 or 2:1 system to ensure we adapt the exercises to your body changes.
Can I do Pilates or Yoga after pregnancy?
- Yes, but it is important to have your 6 week check up and receive the “ok” from your GP or Obstetrician to avoid any potential issues. We will require a letter to aknowledge all is clear before your first class. It is also strongly recommended that you start back in beginner classes to build those foundations again.
Mums and Bubs
- Mums are welcome to create a group of 4 or more mums for a Pilates or Yoga Mums & Bubs and/or at 1:1 or 2:1 privates. Please give us a call or e-mail us to organise a time.
- Child must be up to crawling age (around 6 months) and be in a capsule for at least majority of the session.
Is ok to do Hot Yoga while pregnant?
We do not recommend this group practise for pregnant clients. If you would like a 1:1 or 2:1 session, please let us know and we will be happy to arrange.